first families of north carolina surnamesfirst families of north carolina surnames

My question for anyone who knows is about Tuscarora marriage and naming practices. Daniel Jackson, Jr. They were fighting the British. The Carolina charter was declared null and void in 1706, and Carolinas were divided into two provinces, with governors, in 1712. Index to Vital Statistics Births Iredell, 5 reels 1913-1981. Samuel Pike I Advice on the first three steps of sound genealogical research: getting organized, beginning with census and vital records; and extending your search to more detailed sources. James Campen Thomas Mewboorn Samuel Wheatley I Edmund Pearce, Sr. Robert Peele II Edmund Chancey, Sr. Jasper Hardison Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Peter Pearson THANK YOU. Richard Bond Sam Smith is my direct line on maternal side- yet finding information on him is complicated Yet you say he he was a Chief.. can you give a direction for research?? surnames (North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky) Brass Ankles (South Carolina) Carmel Indians (Ohio) Cubans (North Carolina) Guineas (West Virginia Melungeon) Lumbee/Croatan Indian (North and South Carolina) Pamunkey/Powhatan Indians (Virginia) Redbones (Louisiana via the Carolinas) Melungeon and Thomas Taylor Grace (Bennett) Hill Edward Vail I am looking for lineage on the Chief Samuel Smith line if anyone knows where to find it. . Which would be exactly correct for this. 12, 1811, and wad the first white man to he buried at the mouth of the Columbia River. But most of those names are in Johnston County. The migration of Scottish Highlanders, in particular, to North Carolina began in about 1729 (Conner, 1919) and grew steadily until the outbreak of the American Revolution. With what I believe to be an evolved name of Gibbs. She was in Northampton early on. Mary (Butler) Keile Richard Barfield, Jr. Thomas Hoskins, Sr. John Vaughan Thomas Vinson Could you please tell me if the surname Wilson was ever a Tuscarora name. John Wheatley Vol. Richard Parker III Richard Hill James Beasley, Sr. Richard Braswell II The State Library and the State Archives have long traditions of helping North Carolinians research their past. ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. James Poitevint Alexander Lillington 27:3 (Fall 2002), The entries below have been taken from transcriptions of the 1790 Federal Census for several eastern North Carolina counties. I might have a possible connection but I am not certain. Prudence (Sherrod) Brown Edmund Pearce, Jr. Much new information taken from now available chancery suits at the Library of Virginia has been included. James Newby been supplied in brackets. Dr. Godfrey Spruill William Bridgers Gov. John Yelverton, Jr. John Barrow To learn more, view our full privacy policy. James Long IV Micall Wilson Sarah (Helmot) Leigh William Williams (of Martin) Hello, Im new. First Families of Virginia (FFV) were those families in Colonial Virginia who were socially prominent and wealthy, but not necessarily the earliest settlers. I am descended from Charles Wesley Guy, who is Sarah Jane Guys youngest brother and both are Bransons children with Eliza. Ive checked Ancestry and we go back to a Casiah name, but I have no census that mentions her as belonging to any tribe at all. The next record I was able to find was the Indian Census of New York from 1888-1891 in which I found . I have always been told that we were of Cherokee descent but the cope name seems to be Tuscarora. (Since Branson died years before she married, it would make sense the name was wrong.) Box 1629. Yorkshire. Richard Pace, Jr. my name is Norma fine maiden name is Howell my dads name was Lester Edward Howell his dads name was Clarence Orlin Howell, is this somehow a connection here. Just found this Allen post. John Williams (of Perquimans) Robert Peele I Any help finding Cyrus (Cyranius) Cornelius 1825 would be helpful. Richard Williford II Elizabeth (Overman) Morris Thomas Blount II Benjamin Blount Benjamin Blanchard According to the National Archives, the "roll was prepared by Guion Miller from 45,847 applications covering about 90,000 persons. Aaron Albertson, William Albertson, John Aldridge, Col. Thomas Avent, William Baldwin, John Barclift, William Barclift I, William Bartlet/Barclift II, John Barrow, William Barrow,XEdmund Bellinger I,Edmund Bellinger II, John Belman, Grace Bennett, Benjamin Blount, Sr., James Blount, Jr., Thomas Blount II, Samuel Boutwell, John Boyce, Francis Boykin, William Bright, John Brown, Thomas Brown, William Brown, William Bryan, William Bush, Edward Cannon, William Carraway, Sr., Samuel Charles, Sr., Timothy Clare, John Clarke I, John Clarke II, Major Clarke, Thomas Cook, John Coward, Capt. John Woodhouse Why is she Minqua? (However on her Death certificate is states Black.) John Mann Order of First Families of North Carolina, Ancestor Biographies:Vol. William Craven was born in the village of Appletreewick near Skipton in the year 1548. John Lawrance I William Horn document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Indexed marriage and death announcements from five North Carolina . Richard Sowell, Sr. Registry of Ancestors. It looks like there is a good possibility thatfive Tuscarorasurnames survived the migration from NC to NY and are likely found in descendants today. John Bryant Ann (Bigg) Batchelor Fewox John Hobson Thomas Palin, Jr. John Dew III Thomas G. Anderson was born in New York City in 1835. 2ndEdition, 2014. Ebenezer Slade These elite families generally married . Richard Jones Christopher Dale Search our database to determine if you are one of the proud descendants of the Cherokee Indian blood line. I have limited records of my direct relative Joseph Nichols, Iborn EST 1735 Indian Woods, Tuscarora Reservation, Bertie County, North Carolina died AFT 1817 Scott County, Virginia.but little else. Researching ancestors believed to have been enslaved can be challenging, since the record trail is spotty prior to 1865. My full-blooded Tuscarora Great Great Grandfather Stephen Owens was married to a white doctor Lois / Louise Cadwell/Colwell/ Colwell . Craven Surname Ancestry. Smith was listed as an executor, so may have been a surname from before leaving North Carolina. William Putnell James Long II William Bryant Good luck, I hope you can find out if your ancestor is related. (Washington, North Carolina: M. B. Smallwood, 1964.) 46. John Belman Genealogy for Darby Sullivant (1669 - 1715) family tree on Geni, with over 230 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. Thomas Hobbs John Freeman William Ricks (1771) Thomas Sessums Dennis Cannon Robert Peele III The five Chickamauga Cherokee were in the towns of Runningwater, Nickajack, Chickamauga, Tinsawatie, and Elijay were closely aligned with the Spanish and fought with other Cherokee who were friendly with the British. Much information never seen before. 1 Caswell 1 Catawba 1 Chatham 2 Cherokee 1 Chowan 2 Currituck 2 Dare 1 Davidson 4 Duplin 1 Durham 2 Edgecombe 2 Forsyth 11 Gaston 1 Graham 1 Granville 8 Guilford 15 Halifax 1 Haywood 1 Iredell 9 Jackson 1 Johnston Jones Lenoir Lincoln Mecklenburg New Hanover Orange Pender Perquimans Person Pitt Randolph Richmond Robeson Rockingham Rowan 8 Michael King, Jr. He was hung by the Adamance River in NC along with five other men in 1771. Robert Campen German settlers first came to what is now North Carolina as part of the second expedition sent to the Roanoke area by Sir Walter Raleigh in the 1580s. Full name, location, slave indices. George Williams Thomas Whitmel William Lowe Pingback: Borderlands Deeds and the Cain Surname | Native Heritage Project, I am descended from William Cane who died in 1732 in Bertie Precinct NC and married an Elizabeth Hardy. Hardcover, 8 x 11, xii, 437 pages, Clearfield Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD, 2008,$30.00. The Concessions and Agreements of Albermarle Province were written in 1665 with the name being changed to North Carolina in 1691. Transcription of Provincial North Carolina Wills, 1663-1729/30, Volume 2, Testators L-Z. Charles C. Schmitt, a German Reformed Preacher. This volume treats the known descendants for five generations, male and female, ofJohn Williams, died testate 1692, Isle of Wight Co., VA, and his brotherThomas Williams, died 1693, Isle of Wight Co., VA. OFFNC ancestors are second generation: John2Williams, William2Williams, and Samuel Herring (married Anne3Williams). This easy-to-read guides explains how to dig deep and find vital records from before 1913, when vital records were first kept statewide. My Smith line comes out of Bertie county, looking for more info on Tuscarora Smiths. John Williams, Jr. James Spier, Jr. Edward Salter However, it is not at all clear looking at her parents charts on Ancestry. Thomas Taylor, Sr. In addition I can prove marriage and family association with all these families too. Joseph Glaister, Cary Godbee/Godby, John Godley, Baron Christopher de Graffenreid, Landgrave, Thomas Grandy, Sr., Farnefold Green, Richard Gregory, Jasper Hardison,John Hardy, John Herring, Sr., Samuel Herring, Robert Hill, William Hilliard,Abraham Hobbs, John Hobson, Robert Hodges, Thomas Hoskins, Sr., Thomas Hoskins, Jr., William Hunter, Nicholas Isler, Osborne Jeffrreys, Simon Jeffreys, Proprietary Governor John Jenkins, John Jennings, William Jennings, John Jernigan, Hannah Kent, Thomas Kent, Michael King, Sr., George Kornegay, John George Kornegay, Benjamin Laker, Katherine [__] Langston,Robert Lanier,John Lee, Sr., John Lee, Jr., James Leigh, Sr., Alexander Lillington, William Lowe,Thomas Luten,Daniel McDaniel, John Mann II, Thomas Mann II, Joell Martin, William Martin, John Mason, Sr., Edward Mayo, Sr.,Charles Merritt, Matthew Midyett, Joseph Moore, John Morris, John Nelson, Sr., James Newby, John Newby, Nathan Newby, Samuel Newby, William Newby, Christopher Nicholson, Marmaduke Norfleet, John Pace,Richard Pace, Jr., Francis Parrott, Jonathan Pearson, Rev. North Carolina & South Carolina. Does anyone have any information on Jubert George Basket(t) He supposedly had a daughter named Mary Ann Basket Little Flower. Barnaby McKinne Nicholas Hunter (of Onslow) The incident took place at about 6:16 a.m. Thursday in Iredell County, according to Iredell-Statesville Schools. Thank you. Thank you, Greetings. Common Cherokee surnames include Rogers, Starr, McDaniel, Lowrey, Gunter, Hicks, Kingfisher, Vann, Ward, Adair, Crittenden, Cornsilk, Sizemore and Smith. John Hinnant, Sr. The two other brothers went to North Carolina and founded families. Nathan Newby Joseph Boon On her death certificate she was listed as neuro. William Baldwin The first record I found for him is the 1840 census, which has very little information outside of who lived in the household and then he was gone by 1850 (presumed dead). Was Small your grandmothers maiden name or Surname? This volume, which is the first of this series, begins the genealogy of every eligible ancestor used by members to join the Order. @Laura, please feel free to contact me directly at americanhaggardhousewife (AT) gmail.com. John Clarke I John Lee, Sr. North Carolina to South Carolina, South Carolina to Tenneesee to Kentucky. John Nelson III Warren Andrews Required fields are marked *. William Kinchen II Dr. James Spier We in the Order of First Families of North Carolina all descend from the settlers who arrived in our state prior to 1729. John Bright (of Beaufort) I could use any help that is willing to be offered. Jeremiah Sexton John Trippe I When trying to trace the lineage of David Howell, 1750, in Bedford Va., He lived in same area as reported Tuscarora Indians returned from NY and given refugee by the Monacan Indians. Does anyone have any information regarding Grace Verona (Williams) Miller of the NY Tuscaroras? Jeremiah Symonds . Jacob Pope (d. 1752) I am doing researching on my grandparents family, My grandfather Names Joseph Pugh and my grandmother names is Penny Pierce Bertie, NC, Union, St John, Hertford, North Carolina. Fully documented sketches of the second 200 ancestors used by members of the OFFNC, complete with a documented list of children and their spouses. John Stafford Michael Paquinet, Jr. Richard Whitehurst Pleasant, Martin, Miller, Nash, Patterson, Printup, Peter, Racket(t), Sylvester, Smith, Seneca, Tompson, Williams, White. Page 59-60. I would also like some more information on Sam Smith. William Sexton Lyonell Reading These were John Mackintosh Moore, John Mackintosh, Roland McDonald, John McDonald, John MacLean, John McIntosh, John McIntosh Bain, James Mackay, Daniel Clark, Alex Clark, I. Burgess, D. Clark, Jr., A. McBain, Wm. Richard Felton James Draughon My ancestor, who appears to have three daughters in 1790, has the last name Keziah. Robert Willson My ggggrandfather was a Solomon Allen. Her father was Sylvestor Taylor. Caleb Bundy Dr. Thomas Relfe After you have collected this information, you are ready to move forward with your family history research. Thomas Speight John Pretlow to Arii, does Dake have any descendants named Peter, by any chance? Luke Hollowell Charles Smith, Sr. 3. They did settle in Martinsburg, WV, which I believe, has a connection with the Tuscarora. I have traced back to Branson Guy, born 1812 (either PA or VA, now WV) and cannot find anything further back. Cader Powell John Godley Those sons immigrated to eastern North Carolina between 1738 and 1741. Stephens parents could possibly have been Amos Owen / Owens and Rachel Seward. George Fort II Lawrence Mackque Other families followed such as Samuel Masenngill, Henry Masengill, Julius Dugger and Andrew Greer. James Blount, John Blount, Capt. Nathaniel Everitt Benjamin Foreman, Sr. John Porter, Jr. . In 1663, King Charles changed the spelling of the name to Carolina In 1729, King George II took Carolina over and split it into North Carolina and South Carolina. Nicholas Daw Order of the First Families of North Carolina. William Strickland Heres a link that tells about DNA testing for Native people. Needham Bryan Big Neck. at page 25, line 25 of the present edition; I am the 5th great granddaughter of Dake Boston,( Tuscarora) her granddaughter was Elizabeth Boston Brooks who married a Tuscarora, George Washington Brooks who was bonded out and fought with the Confederates. Among the top 15 fastest-growing last names (2000-2010), all but one are predominantly Asian or Hispanic . John Gordon Major Clarke Henry/Hendry Smith James Dauge https://www.geni.com/people/Capt-Samuel-Smith-Sr-Chief-of-Tuscorora/6000000066981388849. Col. John Snoad Edward Hassell But I believe they are gathering what exists in both Indian Woods and Lewiston NY. Philip Alston THOMAS RASH CAME HERE WITH A MAN THE LAST NAME OF THOMAS WHOM WAS GIVEN LAND TO HELP SETTLE LAND FOR A OR THE KING OF WALES. Thomas Lovick John Henby, Jr. Some lines, where information was available, are taken down to the 9th generation.

Shady Maple Fasnachts, Deaths In Augusta, Ga Yesterday, Does Okra Shrink Fibroid, Articles F

first families of north carolina surnames

first families of north carolina surnames