famous first lines book trivia quizfamous first lines book trivia quiz

Written by Beatrix Potter, The Tale of Peter Rabbit was a 56-page book published in 1902. It was 226 pages and published in 1990. Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and razor lay crossed. Popular Quizzes Today. Mr. Popper's Penguins was written by Richard and Florence Atwater. Sewall died one year later at the age of 58. Yup, it's another opening line. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.". Book Publication Year 1 Next > Sitemap . Novel by Opening Lines Quiz Popular Quizzes Today 1 Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield 2 Ballon d'Or Winners by Age 3 Find the Countries of Europe - No Outlines Minefield 4 Countries of the World Literature Author Random Literature or Author Quiz Novel by Opening Lines Can you name the these famous novels from their opening lines? "The first place that I can well remember was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it.". Published on June 25, 2013, Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great was written and illustrated by Bob Shea. Barrie's "Peter Pan. Consider:"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times;" "It was a pleasure to burn," and "Reader, I married him." Published in 1938, "Murphy" was Samuel Beckett's exploration of a weird guy named Murphy who hangs out alone in the dark and befriends hookers. Fly Away Home was written by Eve Bunting. "This is the saddest story I have ever heard.". "Of all the things that drive men to sea, the most common disaster, I've come to learn, is women. This site will help you discover those books, and give you a community of kindred spirits who love reading as much as you do. "Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmond, and Lucy.". YouTube star John Green single-handedly changed the course of YA fiction by releasing this realistic, ironic "problem novel" into a market full of vampire and dystopian fantasies. Often it's a first line or the last line, but not always. This comes from Stephen King's classic chiller about high-school revenge. 4. By Derek Written by Geoffrey Trease, Cue for Treason was published in 1940. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. This book by Kurt Vonnegut has an odd subtitle: "or, the Children's Crusade, a Duty-Dance with Death." Written by A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh was published in 1926. "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand.". This debate about "On the Road," by Beat generation writer Jack Kerouac, is still ongoing. "When you want something, the whole universe conspires to help you get it.". "Anna Karenina" is his second-most-famous work, overshadowed slightly by "War and Peace. "On the morning I was scheduled to die, a large barefoot man with a bushy red beard waddled past my house.". Black boys in white suits up before me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up before I can catch them. I approve of that reading challenge(: I hope you find some new favourites in the months to come! Charlotte Bronte's beloved novel takes place at Thornfield Hall, where Jane works as a governess. Tolkien, The Hobbit was published in 1937 in the United Kingdom. This opening line also goes down as one of the longest, because it continues quite a while before the inevitable period. How well do you remember the first lines from these famous children's books? Answer: Jane Eyre was the first novel by Charlotte Bront to be published. "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville. It was published in 1996 and was the first book in what is now a 5-book series. Published in 1939, "Goodbye to Berlin" is a portrait of the German people just before they are swept into World War II. "One Thousand and One Nights". It is considered a children's historical novel set in Elizabethan England at the end of the 16th Century. We'll give you the first line of a novel, and you have to choose the book it comes from. Johnny Cade says this to his friend, the narrator Ponyboy Curtis, on his deathbed. You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.- C. S. Lewis. Classic Children's Book Trivia Questions and Answers 1. Less literary and more hilarious, the 1979 story by Douglas Adams begs the question of the meaning of "life, the universe, and everything." This realistic wartime account details the Lost Generation, or the boys who turned into men during World War I. It was 366 pages long and published in 1884. The odious Eustace was a main character in this sequel to "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S. "Why didn't you tell me there was danger in men-folk? Which books opens with this line? Jude wants to be an architect, but England's class system - and misfortune in love - stand in his way. "How five crows managed to lift a twenty-pound baby boy into the air was beyond Prue, but that was certainly the least of her worries.". Can you identify these classic first lines from literature? Written by J.R.R. Sep 28, 2018. Illustrated and written by Robert McCloskey, Make Way for Ducklings was published in 1941. "Elmer Gantry was drunk. What is the second Harry Potter book called? The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle was written by Avi - also known as Edward Irving Wortis. This 1951 classic by J.D. 2023 Tea and Ink Society Create Theme by Restored 316 Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. Sophies mummy said 'I wonder who that could be?'". "So we beat on, boats against the tide borne ceaselessly back into the past.". The Spanish-language novel "Love in the Time of Cholera" was published in English in 1988. Very fun post! You might disagree with one or two of our picks; if so, tell us your choice in the comments. "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.". One may as well begin with Helen's letters to her sister. Ken Kesey's strange "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was made into a hugely successful movie in 1975. Not so long ago, a monster came to the small town of Castle Rock, Maine. Tolkien wrote "The Hobbit" for his children. The catch in "Catch-22" was that anyone who went to the Army's psychologists asking to be let out of combat missions, based on an irrational fear of them, couldn't be taken off combat duty. All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. And take this quiz to get matched to your ideal fictional vacation destination! 2. Sample Medium Question:It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. . "What is essential is invisible to the eye.". Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the pop-holes. The Literary World (Famous Novels) Question: Who wrote Jane Eyre? With some books, pretty much everyone agrees on what its most famous line is - this is true of the opening line of "Pride and Prejudice," which you'll find on everything from dishtowels to bookmarks. He was eloquently drunk, lovingly and pugnaciously drunk.". Here are ten basic books questions to get your trivia juices flowing 1. We give the first lines, can you name the books? "I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking.". This post may contain affiliate links, including Amazon.com. Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting. In a book by Leo Tolstoy, the first line is "Happy families are all alike, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Open a modal to take you to registration information, Button that open a modal to initiate a challenge. Bridge to Terabithia was written by Katherine Paterson and illustrated by Donna Diamond. ", This quote is from the "Manual of Muad'Dib" in Frank Herbert's sci-fi classic. This is Ebenezer Scrooge's conclusion, after he learns some important life lessons in "A Christmas Carol." As terribly as I scored on it, Im glad Ive already been reading more classics! 27 February 2020 Topics Quizzes In the pleasant city of Stillwater, Mr. Popper, the house painter, was going home from work.". Im banking on the fact that if youre reading this, you are probably somewhat of a book nerd yourself. Take the famous first lines of books quiz to find out how many you can identify correctly. Everybody's doing what they think they're supposed to do.". Hermione Granger's First/Last Lines: Book By Book Quiz - By FantasticBowTies. Theyre out there. Click the red Take Quiz button to begin. Find out here if you are in the first rank or an April fool, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Flashman at the Charge by George Macdonald Fraser, Cities of the Red Night by William Burroughs, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson, The Books of Albion: The Collected Writings of Peter Doherty, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy, One Hundred and Twenty Days of Sodom and Other Writings by the Marquis de Sade, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? "Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.". "Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember, it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." Sample Hard Question:All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. What else could this be but the late-60s teen classic? Ergo, you may enjoy the challenge of testing your literary knowledge! In Bram Stoker's book, this line appears first in German, then is translated into English. Also popular are the later lines about "fear the mind-killer. How does 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' begin? It was published on March 22, 1993. "I will live in the past, the present and the future!". 'An opening line should invite the reader to begin the story', Stephen King once said. 6 / 10. Divided into eight parts, "Anna Karenina" is considered one of the strongest novels by Leo Tolstoy. Written by Louis Sachar, Holes was ranked #6 among all-time children's novels in a School Library Journal survey. This line comes late in Stephenie Meyer's first novel. "Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.". Registered office: 20 Vauxhall Bridge Rd, London,SW1V 2SA, UK. 2. Seven Wonders Book 1: The Colossus Rises was written by Peter Lerangis. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents . His insight into the regrets of midlife was remarkable for such a young man. "But his dreams were as gigantic as his surroundings were small.". "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a gentleman in possession of a fortune, must be in want of a wife.". "The Herdmans were absolutely the worst kids in the history of the world.". You'll be pushed to recall the titles that go with the first lines of popular novels from the last ten years. In the movie, it was moved up to a prologue segment about heroine Bella's near-death. "One man's life or death were a small price to pay for the acquirement of the knowledge I sought.". To the red country and part of the gray country of Oklahoma, the last rains came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth. This is probably the most famous line in Antoine St. Exupery's beloved book. With some books, pretty much everyone agrees on what its most famous line is - this is true of the opening line of "Pride and Prejudice," which you'll find on everything from dishtowels to bookmarks. What did Harper Lee have against blue jays?! You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the thing you were after.". document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); I'm Elsie! The black humor of "Catch-22" made Joseph Heller one of the most highly regarded authors of the past century. Take this first lines from books quiz to see how many first sentences you know! J.R.R. 1. There's also a robot named Marvin, which is cool. Arthur Hailey Allen Drury Harper Lee Edwin O'Connor 2. "The sun did not shine. John Toole killed himself before his outrageously hilarious "A Confederacy of Dunces" became recognized as a lasting work of art. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. Which author wrote the 1960 novel To Kill a Mockingbird? "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. 3. Many readers point to this as the theme of Ernest Hemingway's classic. What did Alexander have for dinner in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. The rather curious Lewis Carroll quiz How much do you know about. Be sure to cry at your own mother's funeral or else. See how many of these iconic first lines you knowor make an educated guess for the ones you dont! Eesh! The Overstory The Nickel Boys The Underground Railroad The Goldfinch 3. "Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.". "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.. Still, you've got to put that knowledge to use somehow, right? Based on its first line, name the book. Every book has a first line and some famous books have famous opening lines. It is 541 pages long. "You better not never tell nobody but God. Which novel begins with this line: "Call me Ishmael"? The character of Celie took those words seriously, as the novel by Alice Walker includes many letters to God about her life. If you consider yourself a capital-R Reader, put yourself to the test with this guess the book quiz. Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. Black Beauty was written by Anna Sewell in 1877. Recommended for grades: 9,10,11 Average agony Dec 14 20 3022 plays 5. "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.". Fashionable Words Vocabulary Quiz A vocab quiz with panache Classic Children's Books Quiz Hope you are very hungry for kids' literature trivia. Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield. Itd kill your mammy.". "Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.". The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald) David Copperfield (Charles Dickens) Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury) Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Defoe) 1984 (George Orwell) Catch-22 (Joseph Heller) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey) Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) More book trivia. ", The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting.". Written in 2005 by Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief was the first novel in the Percy Jackson & Olympians series. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bront Tom Jones by Henry Fielding Dracula by Bram Stoker Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 5. "Catch-22" is a novel about World War II pilots. This book is a perennial classic by poet and memoirist Angelou. ", A black woman named Janie Crawford throws off the bonds of racial inequality in "Their Eyes Were Watching God. The simple, classic line above is its opening line. The full quote reads like a paragraph; it's an astounding 119 words long. Lima Beans 4. This was the first novel of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. "The past is a foreign country: They do things differently there.". Put your skills to the test, and take this quiz on memorable literary sentences. ", Theyre out there. From Athena to Zeus: Basics of Greek Mythology Do you know which hero took a dip in the River Styx? And good luck! "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.". Lemony Snicket was a pen name for American author, Daniel Handler. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever was written by Barbara Robinson and illustrated by Judith Gwyn Brown. The 1929 classic and third novel by tortured writer Ernest Hemingway includes a lot of details that border on autobiographical. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. "Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined.". "He's more myself than I am. Scroll down to the bottom for the answer key. Nothing too obscure, though, I promise. White. Once there was a great and terrible war. ", This line is from Louisa May Alcott's famous book. "From the pleasantly situated old town of Mayenfield a footpath leads up through shady green meadows to the foot of the mountains, which, as they gaze down on the valley, present a solemn and majestic aspect.". Book Quiz Questions 1. Holden Caulfield narrates "Catcher" as though he's speaking directly to the reader. Good luck! It's a fun book trivia category! They deal with the infamous Dust Bowl, and such hardships as little money and shelter. I chose a good reading challenge for myself this year to read more classics. Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. But with others, there isn't one clear winner. "Dead men are heavier than broken hearts. "Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity, baripityGood.". "I am always saying 'Glad to've met you' to someone I'm not at all glad I met. That book was made by Mr. Mark Twain, and he told the truth, mainly.". If you want to stay alive, though, you've got to say that stuff.". > Literature Quizzes Find the Countries of Europe - No Outlines Minefield. It was published on June 3, 1969. (We can't tell you the answers here; you'll run across all three in the quiz). Published during World War II, "The Razor's Edge" portrays a World War I veteran suffering from trauma and looking for meaning in his life. by Philip K Dick, The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by CS Lewis, We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling, The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth, George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl, Horrid Henry's Revenge by Francesca Simon, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson, Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis de Bernires, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Time Of The Hero by Mario Vargas Llosa, Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every morning. ", Written by C.S. Illustrated by Carson Ellis and written by Colin Meloy, Wildwood was first published in 2011. Thomas Pynchon published the post-World War II novel "Gravity's Rainbow" in 1973.

Ripple Drink Queen's Gambit, Redbird Private Dining Cost, Articles F

famous first lines book trivia quiz

famous first lines book trivia quiz