anthemos georgiades net worthanthemos georgiades net worth

So you still have to land it and once youre on the door it doesnt matter where you come from you have to have something good. I mean to a point network gets you an intro but a lot of intros are 10 minute meetings where the VC immediately decides its not for them which is totally fair. Alejandro: Alrightee. It was like $46 million. So lets talk about Zumper here. I mean to a point network gets you an intro but a lot of intros are 10 minute meetings where the VC immediately decides its not for them which is totally fair. So that was great. Were growing very quickly but none of that was true obviously in the first two years. Thats quite motivating for people. It was just purely hustling my network for six months to find people who are really great cultural fit but also have very different skill sets to the one I have. So what is the best way, Anthemos, for people that are listening to reach out and say hi? Theres never like an exact number you need like when Uber raised money or you know Zillow raised money, theres never like a number they have to be at. Make sure tenants understand why things are . So I guess for a marketplace or lets say for the people that are listening to us like what kind of metrics do you think for the most part if were talking about hyper growth companies, like they should be a little bit more mindful about? Georgiades founded Zumper after his own . And investors love that story because its easy to believe that you can continue to do that. We love our investors. So cofounders are difficult especially if youre not technical as really hard to find a good technical cofounder but the great thing is once you do and it takes a long time, they are able to attract the next generation of talent in to the company and thats how you kind of build your engineering team out. And then when I moved out to America, Russel was software engineer at Google and I had no technical background so I basically hit up my network for anyone with a technical background living in the US who might be interested in joining and Russel and I really hit it off and he was the perfect cofounder. It was kind of [31:51] as early as we did to buy another stock up that was kind of four years in. Anthemos Georgiades: Oh yeah, on the seed round back in 2012, we had probably five investors come in to the seed round so we kind of had five yeses who put in small checks. Stay informed using all the free online rental data out there (like Zumper's national rent report). Yeah. It is your job not just to do the day to day but once or twice a year you should be doing stuff that has a completely linear outcome where one day youre doing you know 3 million users a month and the next day youre doing 5 million users a month. In terms of investors, I guess two comments. At scale you get to do that and have those teams. They are brilliant about. Saying that, I have connections through both business school and previous people that have gone through BCG venture capital and most of your listeners and entrepreneurs will know so much of this is about like getting warm introductions to VCs so I did have a couple of cheats to get in through the network or through the BCG network. And your cap table I mean as I was reviewing I just felt as I was looking at the Oscars of Silicon Valley, the red carpet. And then my other cofounder Kurt Taylor I met through his mother who was an [04:43] and it was another example of just pure hustle. Anthemos and Russell met in London while working at a consulting company back in 2006, but it was after they moved to the U.S and experienced the pain of finding a place to live that they decided to found Zumper along with Taylor Glass-Moore and Leah Jones. I didnt think that either of them originally. So when you go in to a fundraising in terms of preparation the most important thing is that your last six months are great and your most important metrics are all growing really nicely so kind of five, six months in a row that is a fantastic story to tell to an investor. Yeah, I mean BCG I think you get access to the 23 year olds CEOs who had been working for 40 years and kind of crazy in consulting you take the shortcut in your careers to being in the board room. Anthemos Georgiades: Yeah. Anthemos Georgiades CEO at Zumper United States 4K followers 500+ connections Join to view profile Zumper Harvard Business School Websites Websites Company Website http://www.zumper.com Company. How do you scale like 20 million in revenue to 200 million in revenue and we didnt need the more product set investors because we already have fantastic people at that. See How I Can Help You With Your Fundraising Efforts. Your job as the CEO and the founder is to convince your investors of the reason to do this. Alejandro: Got it. But I will say the one thing is true is that you always raise on momentum. But was drawn in to it just to solve a problem as I think so many entrepreneurs are. And for you I guess personally and professionally because I think they both come together, so how has your leadership and management skills changed over the time from leading the company of lets say four to ten folks initially to a company of over a hundred employees? So M&A are strategic [33:48]. We both wanted to be entrepreneurs. Your job as the CEO and the founder is to convince your investors of the reason to do this. It was at the time Pat Mapper example almost the same size on consumer but now Zumper is much bigger but we called it like a cheat and your job as the founder is to identify like vertical cheats where overnight you become bigger than your competitors. All of it is going to be important and it will come out at the right stage. Well, today's guest noticed that experience and wanted to improve it. Oh wow, good question. If you dont have those connections, I think this is where like a lot of these accelerators and incubators, Y Combinator or Techstars or Launch are really good where you can apply. So in the first two years, Zumper is now [07:52] $90 million in capital. Alejandro: Of course and I agree with you there, Anthemos. Saying that to your point, we see the deal was a successful and yet M&A is really hard to integrate. At college in the UK, Ive had like multiple [00:58] renting apartments. Saying that, in the early days you kind of need to bring on all the capital that you can. Its a Greek name, British accent. Then behind the scenes, Zumper will close the transaction with the landlord and set the renter up with kind of rent payment. The reality is often in the early stages, youre going to want to take all the capital thats given to you and you may not have multiple term sheets. So if the story has changed in a way that merits the focus of the company but what is consistent every single time weve raised is that for six months in a row, we had really, really quick growth. Now my cofounders were phenomenal in bringing them to meetings. anthemos georgiades net worth. Get 5 free searches. Your second month you spend getting term sheets and documents signed. How flat is the company? Its a good question. And so back to your point, yes, we want investors who are supportive of the fact that we didnt try to monetize the platform for the first three years because it would have created a barrier to entry. . If you guys are Zumper website, you can kind of kind at zumper.com the Contact Us or on Twitter I am just @anthemos, A-N-T-H-E-M-O-S on Twitter and yeah, I respond to people. All of it is going to be important and it will come out at the right stage. For every successful fundraise, every single company have a lot of nos. Anthemos Georgiades: Yeah. They are brilliant about. I think at that stage it makes sense. And talking about hustling the network, was there any because I mean those networks that you have I think the network of Harvard is really fantastic and then you know the BCG as well but is there like any process that you followed to really like leverage the network? Anthemos Georgiades: Yeah, I mean BCG I think you get access to the 23 year olds CEOs who had been working for 40 years and kind of crazy in consulting you take the shortcut in your careers to being in the board room. And your cap table I mean as I was reviewing I just felt as I was looking at the Oscars of Silicon Valley, the red carpet. Read More: Sujal Patel On Selling His First Business For $2.6 Billion And Now Raising $108 Million From Jeff Bezos And Others To Improve Medical Diagnostics. Yeah. So all good companies have multiple offers on the table. You can filter down by city and . In the first two or three years you will kill your marketplace if you create any barriers to entry from either side. And it is the culture that keeps people here, not the compensation or anything else. Alejandro: Got it. We envisioned a world in which a renter can find apartments, book in [tour 10:18], turn up the [10:21] and if they want to take the apartment pre-qualify, leave a deposit and book the apartment. How many landlords did we have on the site? Anthemos Georgiades: Yeah. So you know I think Axle Springer very used to appraising companies that match their scale. Its not about the ski trips and any of that you know. Anthemos Georgiades. How autonomous can people be at the junior levels? what was the premier league called before; Theyre both incredibly smart as are my executive team who are also like critical to fundraise where Ill go in and sell the vision often alone. Really good strategy to differentiate the demographics and were super happy with how it went down. We love our investors. For a winning deck, take a look at the pitch deck template created by Silicon Valley legend, Peter Thiel (see it here) that I recently covered. Yeah. So I wouldnt be too picky early. Got it. Now we have supply so the six months curve at the series B was all about users and millions of monthly users and then at the series C it was much more revenue curve. Never thought Id be an entrepreneur. Yeah. anthemos georgiades net worth; wedding max minghella wife; private beach airbnb california; antique english double barrel shotguns; tuscany faucet cartridge removal; primeweld cut 60 machine torch; glendale, az setback requirements. I mean I called it like a cheat [33:33] my team. Anthemos Georgiades: One Lesson That Led To Raise $90 Million From The Top Venture Capital Firms by Alejandro Cremades Like many of our most successful entrepreneurs, Anthemos Georgiades was drawn into startup life to solving a burning problem. Oh yeah, on the seed round back in 2012, we had probably five investors come in to the seed round so we kind of had five yeses who put in small checks. As CEO, Anthemos has raised $39.2 million in venture capital from investors including Kleiner Perkins, Goodwater Capital, Breyer Capital and Foxhaven Asset Management, including a Series B round in Oct. 2016 when many start-ups were struggling. And so I finally just gave in and thought no one is going to build this. It is not suppose to be easy. Had worked in politics. Alejandro: So I guess in just to like follow up on that, what in your mind and obviously in what youve seen creates really that magical relationship between cofounders? In the early days, youre going to need to take all the capital you can get. Got it. Your second month you spend getting term sheets and documents signed. You start to build depth and management structures. And at one point I just told one I just feel like I want to step on the egg and shoot the chicken because it was so repetitive. Anthemos Georgiades CEO and co-founder. The one unifying theme in every fundraising Ive run is momentum. Were going to charge you per lead or for the smaller landlords we charge them if theyre [11:15] for the transaction. So I saw for example Axle Springer which is you know more kind of like the corporate. I think if you hire four cofounders like yourself, thats difficult and luckily we didnt have that problem. So for the business, Anthemos, how much capital have you guys raised today? Alejandro: Got it. My friend have had to camp out overnight outside the property management office to get access to the new apartment and this is [01:09] you know things coming online, you can order a cab via phone, you can book a hotel online. So Id say your first month you spend like getting first, second, third meeting. If you want me to do your fundraising for you, click here. Its really built in the dark days of when stuff is really difficult and I think Zumpers culture now is we have a lot of users still remembers and its a testament to those dark days and we never take anything for granted. Originally from London, he has an MBA from Harvard Business School, MPhil from the University of Cambridge, and BA from the University of Oxford. I didnt think that either of them originally. They take every, some people go and warm theirif you have a brilliant idea, theyd be crazy not to take it and then their entire value is obviously give you a three month program and then at the end expose you to liek 40 investors. Additionally, Anthemos Georgiades has had 2 past jobs including Consultant at The Boston Consulting Group. So I as British person moving to Silicon Valley in 2012 I have never run a startup before. And it is the culture that keeps people here, not the compensation or anything else. So seed, series A, series B, series C, I was always the point person in the fundraise. In terms of investors, I guess two comments. Anthemos Georgiades: Yeah. I knew the CEO for a while. For us, I think they fully understand the entrepreneurial journey and were really excited to have them on board. I mean youre doing various jobs, head of sales, head of finance, head of fundraising, head of like DZ. How autonomous can people be at the junior levels? Anthemos Georgiades: Oh wow, good question. Youll get terms sheets and yeses hopefully quicker than that but this process takes a while and as the money increases and a few rounds become more complicated, it can take more than three months as well. So you still have to land it and once youre on the door it doesnt matter where you come from you have to have something good. So we want to be the first ever kind of full stack rental platform for long term leases and we monetize that two ways. I know entrepreneurs who spend nine months raising their rounds which is a long time but they got great rounds done. I think the startups end up wasting a lot of cash that could really extend runway but thats a different conversation. In the early days you as the CEO you are the fundraiser, you are the effective CFO, youre the head of sales and you kind of have to do the whole thing. So that was great. Well, Anthemos, it has been a pleasure to have you on the show. Were very clear with Axle Springer that we have a lot of consumer scale so a lot of people use our platform on a monthly basis but were still building the [21:55]. glendale, az police activity today; archer lodge middle school calendar. But theres no right answer in business. Every company is completely different and theres no gold standard. Saying that to your point, we see the deal was a successful and yet M&A is really hard to integrate. Not really actually. His passion for relieving the stress for others in apartment rentals has given birth to a venture which has now raised $90 million, has experienced tremendous growth, and boasts a VC line up of some of the most prized investors in Silicon Valley. 1. Vishal Makhijani President & COO. But oh we must have had like 20 persons or 20 people say not now or later. Obviously they knew and I think for us it was like telling Axle and the rest of our investors that there are going to be months where we massively beat plans and there will be months where were behind plans. There could be investors who are fantastic. Township Of Ocean Police Department. In the early days you as the CEO you are the fundraiser, you are the effective CFO, youre the head of sales and you kind of have to do the whole thing. There could be investors who are fantastic. Please subscribe to unlock this content. So I guess how did that consulting experience shape up your approach in terms of like tackling problems and the entrepreneurial journey itself? You always have more nos that more yeses in fundraising but it was ultimately about just hustling my network as much as possible. Alejandro: Got it and before we actually dive in to the journey here, so consulting and business school, this is a few things that I typically hear so from some of our other guests. In the first two or three years you will kill your marketplace if you create any barriers to entry from either side. You know marketplaces and liquidity is king like you were pointing to finding what you need in the shortest period of time because otherwise theyre going to go elsewhere. How many listings do we have on the site? And then as we looked at the C round, Axle Springer are fantastic good example [19:59]. You just get to this kind of motion of you all feel the same and you kind of pull in the same direction. Youre exactly right. In many instances, really acquisitions are great to either feel growth on the company itself, either on the product or perhaps by adding a great talent, but unfortunately many M&A transactions fail really on the integration side of things. Anthemos Georgiades is the CEO and co-founder at Zumper. Saying that, I have connections through both business school and previous people that have gone through BCG venture capital and most of your listeners and entrepreneurs will know so much of this is about like getting warm introductions to VCs so I did have a couple of cheats to get in through the network or through the BCG network. So you know I think Axle Springer very used to appraising companies that match their scale. Like what have you seen that really works? Thiel was the first angel investor in Facebook with a $500K check that turned into more than $1 billion in cash. When people ask me what Im most nervous about its how to keep our amazing team together, a couple of tactics and then one thing that really worked. So the majority of that is still in the bank but yeah, we raised money in capital [12:00]. Yeah. So we want to be the first ever kind of full stack rental platform for long term leases and we monetize that two ways. Alrightee. You look at your cofounders and you know that they understand that and that theyre not freaking out, that is where you build real institutional culture and then you try and grow that across the team. And then now your job at five, six years in with a team of a hundred with higher and amazing executive team who are all better at doing their jobs than you would ever be and so your job is almost as a CEO is to like hire yourself out of a job where you hire people, where you look at them and you think, Wow, I cant believe you report to me. At scale you get to do that and have those teams. Published by at June 13, 2022. So how did you meet your cofounders? Its hard. So M&A are strategic [33:48]. So I wouldnt be too picky early. If you guys are Zumper website, you can kind of kind at zumper.com the Contact Us or on Twitter I am just @anthemos, A-N-T-H-E-M-O-S on Twitter and yeah, I respond to people. So I think as your company matures, you look for investors that have something that you dont have and so for us, were not yet doing $100 million in revenue. So Id say your first month you spend like getting first, second, third meeting. It is not closely married to [14:55] and thats where its still on [14:58] I think Silicon Valley has a long way to go where when I got my first introductions to VCs to Kleiner, to Andreseen, to Graylock, to NEA, it often came through my graduate school network where someone was like, Hey, this guy is leaving HBS. And to be fair, some of these 20 did indeed come back later to invest but in Boston and I pitched all of the east coast investors first because I was on the east coast and they were straight nos. In the early days we love the exposure to Silicon Valley investors. Like many of our most successful entrepreneurs. Budget in my opinion perhaps should be allocated to something else. I was really impressed when because its not hard, its almost impossible to land VC such as Kleiner Perkins on literally your first financing round, the seed round. So thats how Zumper got started. And so when you think about AB testing frameworks, you think about how many started [03:43] that is a [03:44] grad school taught me. And the biggest change in the series C I just raised versus in the early days is having a CFO. It was incredibly difficult. So I guess without further ado, Anthemos Georgiades from Zumper, welcome aboard. Thats just part of the game. I love it. So our CFO is fantastic and what he was able to bring to the series C was real credibility where I meet the investors, get them excited about our vision and our story and then they spend hours with the CFO on the second or third meeting digesting our historical financial as were talking about where were headed. Anthemos Georgiades: Yeah, sure. For us, I think they fully understand the entrepreneurial journey and were really excited to have them on board. Zumper CEO and co-founder May 2012 Board and Advisor Roles Number of Current Board & Advisor Roles 1 Anthemos Georgiades is the Board Member at Zumper. And I mean its quite a few cofounders. Had worked at the Boston Consulting Group. After that, it changed to more consumer. A lot of that is in the bank. They were [sexy 23:47] company and really fantastic fundraisers but the rounds just take a long time, due diligence take a long time. Like what have you seen that really works? For me, its Zumper, an apartment rental platform. It was incredibly difficult. I mean I called it like a cheat [33:33] my team. It just really helps to divide and conquer like that while I was meeting new investors again. So today, we have another founder and another one that is quite successful in their own paths. You rarely have enough data to make the absolutely correct decision and I think a lot of businesses fail especially start ups when they dont make decisions fast enough and in business schools, the case study methods taught me how to feel confident in making decisions without perfect information and how to use data to kind of then review once youve launched, whether it was right or wrong. To give you odds, at the seed stage and the series A stage of growth cuts, all about supply side where a two sided marketplace chicken an egg, on day zero you have no renters and no landlords, how do you solve that? They wanted to close apartments like they book a hotel and so took the status of like 35 different apartments we leased using the technology in San Francisco to VCs and said, Hey, were really going to rebuild all of this but heres some data that shows this really can work at scale, and thats how we raised the first million dollars from some of the names that you mentioned. He has grown the Zumper team to 50 and counting and successfully completed the acquisition of apartment search platform PadMapper. Now we have supply so the six months curve at the series B was all about users and millions of monthly users and then at the series C it was much more revenue curve. I was just talking to a friend of mine about this. I have no experience doing that. Russell Middleton Co-Founder. So I think three months is an efficient round. One is I wouldnt be too pressured about it too early. So it was never I want to be an entrepreneur journey. Were incredibly grateful for everything she did and she remains kind of shareholder in the company. Yeah, sure. Weve only been working with Axle Springer for four months now but they are fantastic. We also actually had a really wonderful fourth cofounder whos no longer with us. Got it. Got it. And [14:42] in Silicon Valley is married to [graphics 14:43] mostly in terms of great companies just break out and succeed [agnostic 14:48] as to where people went to college or if they came from a wealthy or poor family. Got it. Alejandro: Got it. Yeah, I think its probably the DNA of your culture is I think a lot of it is built in the tough times. So tell me your story a little bit here, Anthemos. Got it. You look at your cofounders and you know that they understand that and that theyre not freaking out, that is where you build real institutional culture and then you try and grow that across the team. In the early days we love the exposure to Silicon Valley investors. It seemed crazy that the real estate industry wasnt moving towards on demand. I mean at the end of the day, building and scaling companies especially when youre at the early stages is all about survival and its all about learning to be with each other behind the trenches and really going to war and having each others backs. Then behind the scenes, Zumper will close the transaction with the landlord and set the renter up with kind of rent payment. Alejandro: Got it. I mean youre doing various jobs, head of sales, head of finance, head of fundraising, head of like DZ. He discovered that the marketplace doesnt work for renters, and the idea for Zumper was born with the goal of evening the playing field and increasing transparency in the marketplace. Try for free at rocketreach.co It seemed crazy that the real estate industry wasnt moving towards on demand. This show is about storytelling and all the elements that go into telling the perfect fundraising story. So watching board members from the early investments are [19:38] who now runs Good Water but was originally Kleiner and then Eric [19:42] from Kleiner and theyre both experts at product market set. Hes raising money now. Yeah. It happened but I wouldnt say its like an obvious part. It was like $46 million. Anthemos Georgiades is the co-founder and CEO of Zumper. Yeah. Theyre struggling to kind of grow their audience because they didnt have enough listings whereas Zumper at the getgo we had a lot of unique landlords on the platform that no one else had. anthemos georgiades net worth. So for Zumper our vision as I mentioned was to make renting an apartment as easy as booking a hotel and so instead of going in with just an idea, I built like a really crappy version of the end game that I wanted to build. Terms & Conditions! Its just part of the game and it doesnt [24:30]. And it was just [22:11] during the process that its a startup, were at growth stage but not to expect to be able to predict our courses like that public company again. No. So one is weve always promoted within so whenever we needed a role, we always prefer to promote someone instead of hiring from outside. I think if you set these expectations from the very beginning that are super important. You can set the expectations and then see what happens and if its not a good fit upfront, you can go with the different option on the table. And frankly, the process is a pain in the ass. So lets talk about Zumper here. So seed, series A, series B, series C, I was always the point person in the fundraise. Got it. I really enjoyed it and great stuff. We saw it would take three to six months to integrate Pat Mapper and their backend that engineering project we worked really hard and quickly just over a year to integrate so we underestimated like how much work was required to integrate them by 3x. You are going to get a bunch of nos so I wouldnt rule people out too early. The reality is often in the early stages, youre going to want to take all the capital thats given to you and you may not have multiple term sheets. So I saw NEA, Kleiner Perkins, Graylog, Andreesen Horrowitz, just to name a few. So strategically that was a good marriage where they had a great consumer brand and we have really fantastic supply side inventory. We want investors who look at $100 million in revenue as table stakes but they wont agree to a billion. Got it. So the majority of that is still in the bank but yeah, we raised money in capital [12:00]. Anthemos Georgiades: Yeah. Anthemos lives in San Francisco, where Zumper is HQd, with his wife. Yeah. So what was that process like you were talking about, yes, your network of Harvard but can you share with us like what was that process of landing Kleiner on your seed round? Thank you so much. I mean if you could give some kind of like tips you know both fronts it would be really fantastic. Got it. You always have more nos that more yeses in fundraising but it was ultimately about just hustling my network as much as possible. The most important thing is to surround yourself with an amazing support group because it is so much harder to build a company than I thought it was and the emotional resilience you need to get through the dark days and come back to the bright days even now is what [38:54] just get harder like yeah, we have more revenue now but with that there are people [38:58] and like huge revenue targets we have to attain and so the most important thing is surround yourself with a network of family, friends, mentors, peers, your team, your investors, whoever is an emotional crutch for you where you can take from them but also maybe get back to them as well when theyre having a tough time, thats the single most important thing is look after your mental health because it is lonely and it is stressful and if youre able to kind of be resilient you have a great outcome but it is really hard on some days to push through, so build that around just [39:35] and you can be happy while running your company.

Ron Desantis Wife Heritage, Articles A

anthemos georgiades net worth

anthemos georgiades net worth